Exemption Theology

Exemption Theology. That's a term I learned this weekend from a recorded message by speaker Matt Heard while attending a weekend retreat with the Leadership Council of our Finger Lakes Community Bible Study.

He began by saying that contemporary evangelism has an insidious theology problem, one he labels "exemption theology". We seem to think that the more we obey Jesus, the easier our lives will be; we equate blessing with comfort and ease.

That is so true. We live in a culture that worships pleasure and instant gratification. We are self-centered. As Christians, we want to say with John the Baptist, "He must increase, but I must decrease" (John 3:30).  And I'm sure we mean it, but we also find it very difficult. Our natural instinct is to be self-centered. In fact, we're constantly told, "You're worth it."

As Matt Heard pointed out, self-centered theology makes us ask if there is something wrong with us when things go wrong. Then we apply it to others, judging them and wondering what they've done wrong that they should be experiencing hard times.

The truth is we in America have grown spiritually weak. I've been thinking about that for some time, calling us "flabby" Christians. The question I've asked myself is, "Are we prepared to suffer? Could we accept persecution for our faith?" I have to admit that when I was much younger and more naive, it was much easier to think like Peter, that I would never deny my Lord. But I don't want to suffer; I don't even want to experience discomfort.

But I also believe persecution is coming. I may escape it, but I fear for my children and especially my grandchildren. Today, Christians are considered intolerant; we are seen as fanatics. All you have to do is watch television and see how we are portrayed. The media has great influence on society.

In Great Britain, "foster parents with a long record of providing a loving and supportive family environment to vulnerable children... have been barred from fostering by the state authority because they cannot, out of conscience, tell a child they think homosexual practice is a good thing" (Focus on the Family Citizen magazine, September 2013, pg. 27).

On page 4 of the same magazine, Editor Karla Dial wrote, "Given the Supreme Court's recent rulings, marriage is under renewed assault from coast to coast—and wherever marriage falls, religious freedom will be the next domino in line."

Then there' s the Oregon Labor Commissioner's investigation of a Christian business owner for turning down a request to make a cake for a same-sex wedding. The October issue of Citizen magazine quoted Commissioner Brad Avakian, as reported in The Oregonian, August 14, 2013, as saying, "The goal is never to shut down a business. The goal is to rehabilitate.

If you read about Germany before World War II, you find similar, almost innocuous, prejudices against the Jews. Not many recognized where it was leading, although Dietrich Bonhoeffer did and is known for his fight against it. Is this where we are heading in the United States, only toward Christians?

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me, your rod and your staff, they comfort me". Can things be much more difficult than the "shadow of death"? Yet our comfort is neither protection nor prevention; it is God's presence with us.

"Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the Lord your God" (Isaiah 43:1b-3a). God's promise is not exemption—it is His presence!

As Matt Heard said, "The beauty of the Gospel is its victory in the context of a fallen world!" We will walk through, not around, the Valley of the Shadow of Death, knowing that His rod of protection and His staff of restoration bring us all the comfort we need (Psalm 23).

God's protection is not from difficulties, it is from the evil one, from Satan (John 17:15). Our battle is "not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places" (Ephesians 6:12).

Jesus said, "... In me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world" (John 16:33).

Scripture quotations from the English Standard Version (ESV)

This profile of Matt Heard was found on the web site of the International Arts Movement, self described as "A community of artists and creative catalysts gathered to wrestle with the deep questions of art, faith, and humanity":
Board Member Matt Heard is the Senior Pastor of Woodmen Valley Chapel, a non-denominational church in Colorado Springs, Colorado. A graduate of Wheaton College and Reformed Theological Seminary, he is an ardent advocate of the arts as well as the holistic engagement of art and faith. He was formerly the President of Vantage Point Forum and the Executive Director of the Greater Orlando Leadership Foundation. The parents of three sons, Matt and his wife, Arlene, live in Colorado Springs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All for the Glory of God

Happy Thanksgiving

Faith Like Abraham's