Funeral Thoughts

One week ago today I attended the funeral of a 57-year-old man whose godliness and integrity affected so many people. He was a man whose life reflected his faith and even those in place where he worked could not refer to him without including his love for God and family.

As I sat there listening to the many things that were said about him, I was especially impressed by the fact that everyone seemed to know what his life verse was:

He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly, and to love mercy
And to walk humbly with your God.
Micah 6:8

Fantastic verse to live by! And all who knew him said he did just that. 

As I pondered his verse, I wondered if anyone would know my life verse, if I had ever even identified such. There are so many verses that mean so much to me, but I think I would stake a claim to Paul's prayer for the Philippians that I have made my prayer for so many years - a prayer I prayed for my loved ones as well as for myself:

And this is my prayer:
that your love may abound more and more
in knowledge and depth of insight,
so that you may be able to discern what is best
and may be pure and blameless
until the day of Christ,
filled with the fruit of righteousness
that comes through Jesus Christ—
to the glory and praise of God.
Philippians 1:9-11

 Has my love grown over the years as I've walked with God, as I've learned more of Him through His Word? Do others see me as pure and blameless, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ? Is my life lived in a way that brings glory and praise to God? I pray it is so and I pray that it becomes more and more true as I continue along life's journey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All for the Glory of God

Happy Thanksgiving

Faith Like Abraham's