I realize it's been quite some time since I posted and decided it was time to share my personal testimony of salvation. As a core leader at Community Bible Study, I was called upon to prepare a sample testimony that would take just three minutes or less to share. Actually, our whole Finger Lakes class was to do so, but we core leaders were to model the presentation. Anyway, the following is what I shared with my core group. This week, the ladies in my core group will share their testimonies. 

    I always believed in God. My parents taught me that Jesus was God-become-man, born of a virgin; that He died on the cross to bear the punishment for my sins and then rose again. I believed every word they taught me.

    Although I was very young (7 years old), there came a day when I understood that belief was not enough. I remember one Sunday after church service, my father leaned toward me to say he sensed I was convicted during the message. I remember going with him to a pew near the organ away from chatting clusters of people, to talk and pray with him. Do I remember that convicting message? Or even what my father said to me? No. But I know that I realized, as young as I was, as innocent as I was, that I was far from perfect and a sinner in need of a Savior.

    Coming to Jesus humbly with a child’s easy faith was just the beginning. Just as I was a young child who would continue to learn and grow to maturity, I was a spiritual baby who would be learning and growing throughout my life. I experienced spiritual growth spurts as well as physical.

    High school sociology, taught by an atheist with a wealth of biblical knowledge, put me in a position of defending my faith. Many evenings were spent asking my Dad questions, searching Scripture and commentaries for answers. Foundations were being laid for the future. One thing Dad repeated over and over during those times was that it is okay to question as long as I never question the truth of Scripture.

    My one year of college found me in the wrong major, struggling not only with things for which I was ill equipped, but also with feelings of rejection, inadequacy and inferiority. I continued studying Scripture and found comfort in Lamentations, written by the “weeping prophet.” When dorm mates expressed their concern for me and what they saw me going through, I got down on my knees to find healing, not mere comfort. I was reading Hebrews at the time and Hebrews 13:6 jumped out at me: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?” I finally realized that my life was controlled by fear of failure and rejection; that God would never reject me but would always be with me as my Helper. And His help, His love and acceptance were far more important than human help, love and acceptance. That experience equipped me for victory whenever I was tempted to give in again to those old fears. And the need for those repeated victories have lessened over the years until they are practically nonexistent.

    I was married the summer after college. Spiritual growth spurts weren’t over; indeed they will never end. Learning to love more deeply in the ups and downs of marriage, in raising children and in getting along with judgmental neighbors; going through unemployment and seeing God provide; experiencing the deaths of loved ones and  celebrating their Home-goings even while grieving their absence. All these things and more have continued to bring spiritual growth and development in my life.

Philippians 1:6: “And I am sure of this, that He who began a good work in [me] will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.”  
 
    I praise God for His continuing work in my life!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All for the Glory of God

Happy Thanksgiving

Faith Like Abraham's