From Self-Pity to Agreement With God

I have a new computer! And now I'm back to writing my thoughts from Jeremiah. I don't claim to be doing an in-depth study, by any means. I'm just sharing thoughts that have come to me as I've been reading. Admittedly, I've had to go back and review my recent readings to write this post, but I am enjoying Jeremiah and the thoughts he has inspired in me.

Looking back at chapter 15, I find Jeremiah experiencing a little self-pity. Have you ever been there? I have. Not a fun place to be and yet there's something addicting about it when you land there. Thankfully, God has armed me with the equipment (His Word) to pull myself out when I find myself wallowing in its quicksand. Yes, quicksand is what it feels like as it pulls me down, down, down. As I've grown older and more experienced at depending on God, I've learned how to avoid its magnetic pull, but once in a while I get caught unaware.

Jeremiah begins by recounting to God just how he has obeyed God in verses 10 through 18.

Your words were found, and I ate them,
and your words became to me a joy
and the delight of my heart,
for I am called by your name,
O Lord, God of hosts.
(Jeremiah 15:16)

He continues to justify himself in the next verse, but then asks,

Why is my pain unceasing,
my wound incurable,
refusing to be healed?
Will you be to me like a deceitful brook,
like waters that fall?
(Jeremiah 15:18)

And God responds, assuring Jeremiah that if he, Jeremiah, "returns", God will restore him, that if he will "utter what is precious, and not what is worthless," Jeremiah will be God's mouth. He goes on to assure Jeremiah that

they shall not prevail over you,
for I am with you
to save you and deliver you.
I will deliver you out of the hand of the wicked,
and redeem you from the grasp of the ruthless.
(Jeremiah 15:20-21)

Jeremiah is such a great example of honesty before God. He's not afraid to utter his complaints to his Lord. He knows that God is merciful and gracious, that He understands. Reading the Psalms, we find the same honesty before God, the same willingness to confess feelings and then the willingness to  trust Him because they know His character. 

For he knows our frame; 
he remembers that we are dust.
...But the steadfast love of the Lord is 
from everlasting to everlasting on
those who fear him...
Psalm 103:14, 17

Even Jesus recognized human weakness in His disciples when He asked them to pray with Him in Gethsemane. But they feel asleep while Jesus agonized in prayer. What was Jesus response?

Watch and pray
that you may not enter into temptation.
The spirit indeed is willing, 
but the flesh is weak.
(Matthew 26: 41)

Once Jeremiah has vented, so to speak, he obeys God. Things still don't go well for him. Although Jeremiah preached God's truth, his prayer now reads:

Should good be repaid with evil?
Yet they have dug a pit for my life.
Remember how I stood before you to speak good for them,
to turn away your wrath from them.
Therefore deliver up their children to famine;
give them over to the power of the sword...
(Jeremiah 18:20-21)

Ah. Notice how Jeremiah now agrees with God regarding judgment. He experienced the stubbornness of the people who were warned yet refused to repent and change their ways. I believe Jeremiah now identified with God, gaining an understanding he lacked before.

When we are willing to obey God, we soon accept His will. Although I believe our nation is worthy of judgment, I really don't want to be in the midst of it, as Jeremiah was. But God's will that affects our lives today does not involve such judgment. Of course, we might consider the seemingly increased floods and droughts and earthquakes part of His judgment... 

Sometimes obeying God in service to others, be it in the background (like cleaning bathrooms, working in the nursery, or spending hours on our knees in prayer) or in the foreground (preaching, teaching or music) does not require that much from us. Just a willingness to lay aside our first wants. Soon we find those desires no longer matter and we find our place obeying God is the best place to be! 

Sometimes obedience is humbling ourselves enough to restore broken relationships, recognizing our part in the brokenness and even being willing to accept all the blame if necessary. 

Whatever our situation, we can bare our hearts before God as long as we are willing to let Him do His work in changing our hearts. Isn't it wonderful that we have a God who listens, who understands, and who continues to love us just as we are?

Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
It is high; I cannot attain it.
(Psalm 139:6)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All for the Glory of God

Happy Thanksgiving

Faith Like Abraham's