Love Abounding More and More

Have you ever thought about your love for Christ? I have. I wish I could say I truly love Him with everything that is in me.

I can't help but think about Jesus' encounter with Peter on the beach after His resurrection. Peter was probably still suffering from guilt over his thrice denial of his Lord. Jesus singled him out and asked him, "Do you love Me?" three times. We've all heard the messages about which Greek form of the word "love" was being used both in the questions and the answers. Suffice it to say, Jesus was asking Peter to search his heart in preparation for the commission to feed His sheep. [See John 21:15-19]

Somehow, after meditating on this passage, I connected it with Paul's prayer in Philippians 1:9-11, a prayer I have often used to pray for my loved ones and for myself.

And it is my prayer that
your love may abound more and more,
with knowledge and all discernment,
so that you may approve what is excellent,
and so be pure and blameless
for the day of Christ,
filled with the fruit of righteousness
that comes through Jesus Christ,
to the glory and praise of God.

Admittedly, I had always thought of the word "love" as an entity in itself, which it is in a sense. It is an emotion but it is also and action and it is something that can grow. We understand that in terms of relationships. And when I used it in my prayers, I was praying that we would live out the characteristics of love in our lives, primarily toward others.
But Jesus' conversation with Peter added an extra dimension to that concept: my love for God the Father, for Christ my Savior. Let's face it, our ability to love others grows with our love for God. 

Beloved, let us love one another,
for love is from God, 
and whoever loves has been born of God
and knows God.
Anyone who does not love
does not know God, because God is love.
1 John 4:7, 8

The more we get to know God through His Word, the more we learn to love Him through praising Him, the more we will love Him. As our love for God grows, our ability to love others grows. 

So my prayer is that my love for God will abound more and more as I grow in my knowledge of Him and my understanding of what He expects of me. May I produce more and more of the fruit of righteousness because of Jesus Christ. May my life glorify God and cause others to praise God. May I relinquish self-glorification, self-will and seek only to please and glorify my God! May I be willing to say with the Psalmist:

Search me, O God,
and know my heart!
Try me and know my thoughts!
And see if there be any grievous way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting!
Psalm 139:23, 24

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All for the Glory of God

Happy Thanksgiving

Faith Like Abraham's