Relevant Christianity

Why is it that children raised in good Christian homes and regularly attending church services, choose to abandon the church as adults? The answer most often given is that they do not see the relevancy of Christianity and the church in the lives they lead.  Of course, there's also the age-old excuse that the church is full of hypocrites.

Could they be right? Yes, to a point. After all, we are sinners saved by grace who come to church to learn more about God, to fellowship with other believers, to be encouraged, to gain accountability, to grow more like our Lord. Imperfect people meeting together with a common purpose. In theory, at least.

But the church is only as relevant as its message and the people who speak it and live it. And that message is contained in the Word of God—the transforming Word of God! It is the message of salvation through Jesus Christ, the evidence of God's love for us. As we allow the Spirit of God to work in our lives, we become more like Christ and, therefore, more compelling messengers.

I sincerely believe that true Christianity transcends culture. We are losing our youth not because of our music or our decor, but because we don't live lives that show the relevance of our faith.

How do my neighbors see me? Do they see love and purity and faithfulness? Do they see those qualities as a reflection of my relationship with God?  

How does my family see me? My children are grown and, thankfully, they love the Lord. But have they seen Christ in me? Do they see Christ in me? Does my husband?

Do I reflect contentment in any situation, whether stretching pennies to make ends meet or living comfortably? Do others see that I can face any situation because I find my strength in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:11-13)?

Do I walk in a manner worthy of my salvation in Christ, evidencing humility and gentleness, being patient and bearing lovingly with others, eagerly striving for peace and unity (Ephesians 4:1-3)?

Is my love patient and kind? Can I see others receive recognition or serve in ways I would like to serve without envying them? Or when I do receive recognition or find myself in service to God or others, can I do so without boasting? Am I polite? Am I willing to sacrifice what I want for the sake of another? And do so without becoming irritable or resentful? Am I sorrowful over wrongdoing but exultant over righteousness? Do I willingly bear all things? Do I faithfully believe in my fellow believers, in my loved ones, optimistically hoping for the best for them? Is my love unconditional and unending? [1 Corinthians 13:4-8]

Have I made every diligent effort to supplement my faith with virtue, knowledge, self-control, steadfastness, godliness, brotherly affection and love? Are these qualities ever increasing, making me effective and fruitful in the knowledge of my Lord Jesus Christ? [2 Peter 1:5-8]

That's what relevancy is all about! Admittedly, I have to say with the Apostle Paul, "Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own" (Philippians 3:12).

If these qualities are to increase in our lives, we must be willing to make sacrifices—sacrifices of time and energy. Putting God first in and throughout our days, submerging ourselves in Scripture, basking in time with God through prayer and meditation, seeking to know the needs of others so we can meet them. Ouch! Yet, as we do, we find that these sacrifices are not really sacrifices at all because God's blessings are so abundant, our relationship with Him is so joyful. Praise God!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All for the Glory of God

Happy Thanksgiving

Faith Like Abraham's