Amidst Emotional Flare-Ups

We all have them. Misunderstandings. Foot-in-mouth moments. Overflowing stress. Mama bear syndrome. You name it. Reactions happen. Sometimes mountains are made from molehills. Sometimes we have major issues and confrontations. Regardless, it is so easy to allow our emotions to rule.

We had one of those volcanic situations in our family this morning. I'm so often the one caught in the middle, listening to both sides. I had a high school teacher who used to tell me I should be a lawyer because I always defended the underdog. Well, I do that as a mediator, too.

But when all is said and done, there is only one Mediator. Thankfully, our situation has been resolved, but it took a little time for emotions to subside enough to be dealt with. 

I believe strongly in praying Scripture whenever possible. Since Romans 8 is the chapter I have memorized, I find I use it often. Below is the prayer I prayed, adding the references afterward:

(Romans 8:26, 27) Father, we know that we do not know what to pray for as we ought and that we need the Holy Spirit's help in all our weaknesses. Right now there are emotions on both sides of this issue which have erupted into a very difficult and out-of-control situation. We depend on Your Holy Spirit to intercede for us with groanings too deep for words. We know You know the mind of the Spirit and that He intercedes for us according to Your Will.

Now in this situation I pray that You will teach us all more about godliness, more about glorifying You. Help us all to step away from our emotions that we may see You and Your love for us and for each other. Give us Your love, Your patience and Your understanding - not just of this situation, but also of each other. I pray Your love will permeate everything, that we will humbly submit to You and You only. I pray your love will give us the grace and mercy we need to extend toward each other.

We trust You because we love You and know that You will work all things together, even these things, for our good (Romans 8:28).

I ask this in Jesus' name, who sacrificed all so that we might be Your children, children learning to be conformed to His image (Romans 8:29).

Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All for the Glory of God

Happy Thanksgiving

Faith Like Abraham's