Gleaning New from the Familiar

This morning, as I read Mark's account of the rich young man (Mark 10:17-27), several things jumped out at me in a new way.

You remember the story. A young man came to Jesus and asked what he must do to inherit eternal life. After discussing the commandments that the young man had kept all his life, Mark notes that Jesus, looking at him, loved him... 

Why have I never noticed or thought about Jesus' love for this young man? Yet, in spite of His great love, He knew what His questioner treasured most and asked him to be willing to part with the treasures of his heart—his wealth and belongings. I imagine this young man had worked very hard to accumulate those possessions and perhaps felt an inordinate pride in his accomplishments. Whatever the reasons, he was disheartened and went away sorrowful. He chose his treasures over eternal life!

How that must have saddened our Lord Jesus! He loved the young man yet asked the seemingly impossible of him. What would I have done in his shoes? What do I cling to now that might lesson my love for God, my ability to serve Him wholeheartedly? I would like to think I would be willing to give up whatever He asks of me, but I know how extremely difficult it is for me to give up something as small as chocolate or phone games—health obstructions and time-wasters.

Another very familiar quote comes from verse 25:

It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle
than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.

Ouch! Humanly speaking, we tend to think about how wonderful it would be to have the rich and the educated become saved and active in our churches, yet they are the hardest to reach. Truly pride in our accomplishments can be our biggest stumbling block to spiritual effectiveness. Plus it may keep some from turning to God in the first place because they think they can manage life on their own, in their own strength and ability, and imagine they have no need for God.

The disciples were also exceedingly astonished at Jesus' words, asking "Then who can be saved?" Jesus responded with another familiar quote (verse 27):

With man it is impossible,
but not with God.
For all things are possible with God.

Sometimes we become so familiar with God's Word that we don't take the time to ponder them, to apply them. In fact, if you're like me, it becomes very easy to "speed read" passages that I've known for years. But we miss so much when we do.

Salvation in and of itself is impossible with man. God initiated it by sending His Son to pay the penalty for our sins and assuage God's anger. [Yes, anger—anger over sin and any infraction against His holiness]. Salvation is only possible through the act of God.

For by grace you have been saved through faith.
And this is not your own doing;
it is the gift of God,
not a result of works,
so that no one may boast.
(Ephesians 2:8,9)

I find it so encouraging that all things are possible with God. As I continue to pray for my prodigal grandson who has severed all ties with his family, I know that only God can work in his life.  We may wish we could grab hold of his shoulders and shake some sense in to him, but we would do so in vain. Unless God is in it. Again,

With man it is impossible,
but not with God.
For all things are possible
WITH GOD.

NOTE: All italicized words are quote from the Bible, English Standard Version.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All for the Glory of God

Happy Thanksgiving

Faith Like Abraham's