Prepared for Anything, Part III

I developed the habit of reading short books of the Bible in one sitting and longer books in as few sittings as possible. Being immersed in Scripture helped me assimilate it into my thoughts and daily life. I began to memorize passages of Scripture, although many of those have escaped my word-for-word memory through lack of practice. Or they come out in what I call a homogenized version because they are a mixture of translations. After all, I grew up on the King James Version, then transitioned to the New International Version and now use the English Standard Version.

One day, my son asked me why I had to use a Bible verse for everything. [I was probably admonishing him for something at the time, using Scripture as I did so.] I realized then that the Bible had become such a part of me that it just had to overflow into every aspect of life. I was becoming more like my grandfather with a verse of Scripture for every situation—a good example to emulate.

All of this study and memorization proved beneficial when, in a personal situation, I cried out to God, “Lord, I can’t take anymore.” Immediately 1 Corinthians 10:13 came to mind:

No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man.
God is faithful and He will not let you be tempted beyond your ability
but with the temptation He will also provide the way of escape,
that you may be able to endure it.

Lesson #3: Knowing Scripture enables prayer to be a two-way conversation as the Spirit brings to mind the verse God wants me to hear in that moment and situation.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All for the Glory of God

Happy Thanksgiving

Faith Like Abraham's