It's All About God

This morning as I sat down to pray and spend time with God, I had planned to pray through one of my favorite Psalms. But my Bible was open to Isaiah 43 where I had been reviewing the first three verses I previously memorized while walking through cancer and I was somehow drawn to that chapter once again. Three verses stood out to me:

Everyone who is called by my name,
whom I created for my glory,
whom I formed and made.
Isaiah 43:7

The people whom I formed for Myself 
that they might declare my praise.
Isaiah 43:21

I, I am He who blots out your transgressions
for my own sake,
and I will not remember your sins.
Isaiah 43:25

Because I am God's child, I am called by His name. United with Christ, I am a Christian. Therefore, God created me for His glory. 

It struck me that so many of our prayers are self-centered rather than God-centered. When I pray for my grandson, for my friend's son, and another friends son-in-law, how do I pray? Why do I pray for them? Is it to give me satisfaction, to conform them to our desires, to seek their happiness and fulfillment? Or that God might be glorified through them, through their transformation? 

Obviously the last question should be the true reason for our prayers. In my grandson's case, he is AWOL; I do not know what he is doing or what his group of friends are up to. My friend is grieved by certain choices her son has made that are contrary to God's Word. My other friend's concern has been for her daughter's and her grandchildren's situation with a man who seems to be alcoholic and computer-addicted, although that has changed to genuine concern for her son-in-law's spiritual state. 

As we pray for these precious souls, we need to be aware of our purposes in prayer. Is there embarrassment over their behavior, over their choices? Are we more concerned with the here and now and the effects of their choices on others, on ourselves? Or do we sincerely want God's best for them in a way that will bring glory to our God and Savior? I know I often pray with the right formula, so to speak, but what is in my heart? Am I willing to totally submit to God's ways and timing? 

God created me for His glory. He created my loved ones who are called by His name for His glory. Until they submit to God, His glory is not important to them. 

So, as I pray for these young men (and several others), I pray that their transformation will be so obviously miraculous that God will be seen and therefore glorified. I pray more than that; I pray that they, that I, might praise God for His magnificent moving in their hearts. To declare His praise means that I will not be silent when I see Him act and move in their hearts. I will give Him all the credit, all the praise, all the honor.

And as I pray for them with full knowledge that they have made sinful choices, I am also aware of my many imperfections, of my sins that God has forgiven. I pray they will repent of their sins even as I ask God to reveal my sins and help me to turn from them. But what really impresses me is that God will forgive, not for my sake, but for His! Wow! God wants to forgive. God wants free and open relationship with me, with them. And He wants to give me the freedom that only His total forgiveness can provide. 

Oh, that these young men would know what they are missing by standing in rebellion against God. No matter how deeply hurt we as parents and grandparents may be, their rebellion is not really against us; it is against God. If they were walking with God, if they were seeking His glory, if they were declaring His praises, they would seek and receive His forgiveness and make things right with all those their sinful choices have affected. But, first and foremost, they must humble themselves before God.

This is a lesson, however, not just for them but also for us who already know God and are called by His name. How aware am I, are you, of how my sins—yes, call them what they are, not weaknesses, not imperfections—detract from God's glory? Of how my sins mar my praises and therefore mar God's holiness? Can we sincerely say with the Psalmist,

Search me, O God, and know my heart!
Try me and know my thoughts!
And see if there be any grievous way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting!
Psalm 139:24 

And when He reveals those grievous ways, I pray we may bow in humble submission and confession before our Lord, truly repentant and willing to change. Because He offers forgiveness for His sake.
To God be the glory!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All for the Glory of God

Happy Thanksgiving

Faith Like Abraham's